Saturday, March 8, 2008

Project Tutorials - Rubberstamped Tumbled Tiles

Coasters, Hot Plates & Magnets

OK I got various different info from folks on how to make the tiles, so there are various ways of making these great coasters and magnets...but this is how I did mine....You can buy the tiles in about 3 sizes. 2in x 2in for magnets; 4in x 4in for coasters; or even 6in x 6in for a hot plate.

Supplies needed:
Tumbled tiles (Home Depot –unglazed)
Chalk inks
Chalk applicator (sponge, colorbox stylus, etc)
Small tipped paint brush or Q-tip
Stazon Ink
Various Stamps
Polycrylic clear spray finish
Cork or felt feet or backing

1. Wash the tiles to get off any dust, let dry.

2. I used chalk inks with a cosmetic sponge to color the basic background, using two or more similar colors gives a more realistic look to your design.
3. I then used Stazon Ink to rubberstamp the main image and any small other decorative images. Let dry.

4. I used a q-tip and the chalk inks to color in small tight spots.
5. I then heat set in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. Spray with fixative - I got some polycrylic spray clear finish from home depot, but some of the gals I got the info from said that they didn't spray with a fixative that cooking them in the oven did the trick, so guess it is optional...
7. Attach either cork or felt feet to the base of each coaster (got the felt feet at Home Depot too)

Good luck and have fun!
Debbie Weller
a.k.a. DebDuzScrappin

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin